Dundee Funeral Support Service are seeking Trustees for their new funeral advice and brokerage service. This is an excellent opportunity to be involved at the early stages of setting up a social enterprise that will reduce the cost of funerals for people at their most vulnerable.
After an initial phase of focused research and consultation DFSS, are ready to build a new funeral and brokerage advice service offering dedicated support at the time of bereavement.
Such support is hard to find but its absence creates real hardship and social injustice. For example:
• As an unexpected ‘purchase’ many grieving people seek a quick solution rather than shopping around.
• People in poverty are commonly required to make significantly large deposits which are not asked of wealthier people.
• People feel both pressure and desire to honour the deceased which makes choosing lower cost options difficult even when such options are made available.
• For most of us funerals are an unplanned expense.
• For people on low incomes the deceased often leaving no savings, life insurance or funeral plan.
This new advice and brokerage service is supported by key agencies – Discovery Credit Union, Dundee City Council Dundee Social Enterprise Network Faith in Community Dundee and the Dundee Pensioners Forum – working together under the banner of the Funeral Poverty Action Group.
DFSS are seeking Trustees who would catch the vision of this new service, have a strong vision for social justice and can bring their energy to work alongside others to take the initiative from this development stage into an effective sustainable operation.
Closing date is 31st January 2018.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact Jacky Close at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01382 825351.